Moving to Florida to become a paid family caregiver

Constantly traveling to Florida to check in on elderly parents or relatives may eventually take its toll on an individual who lives out of state. While a relocation seems tempting, there are some important issues to consider when moving to the Sunshine State. For individuals finding themselves becoming more involved with an elderly relative’s care, applying to become a paid family caregiver may help in providing some relocation assistance.

According to the AARP, nearly 40 million individuals are assisting elderly friends and relatives, but details and issues regarding their compensation are nebulous. While not everyone receives payment to provide assistance to a loved one, some are eligible to receive compensation as caregivers through Medicaid or other long-term care programs.

General duties of a caregiver

Insurance data reported by the AARP shows that the median cost of a home health aide is about $170 for each eight-hour shift. The aide provides an elderly individual with basic care needs such as bathing, preparing meals and taking medications. When there are income limitations preventing an elderly individual from hiring an aide, a relative who visits occasionally may help with writing bills or running some errands.

Some elderly individuals require assistance on a regular basis, and a relative may decide to move in with them to provide general non-medical services. Before moving in and becoming an in-home caregiver, however, it is important to thoroughly assess which job, salary or living arrangements are being given up in order to become a live-in aide.

Basic compensation for a family caregiver

An individual who wishes to become a Florida family caregiver must pass a background check, possess authorization to work in the U.S. and be willing to earn an hourly rate in the range of $9 to $13. Several senior programs including Florida Medicaid offer compensation to family members who take on the duties of a caregiver.

The intent is to allow an elderly individual to remain living in their primary residence, and a live-in aide helps to fulfill this requirement. Many senior citizens who are eligible for personal benefits through Medicaid may choose who they wish to act as their personal caregiver.

Another important issue to consider is whether an adult child will inherit a parent’s home after he or she moves in. It may require an estate plan or trust to ensure that the effective transfer of property takes place.